This is another dish I used to watch my mom make when I was a child growing up in Europe. Mom was Hungarian so she made a lot of Hungarian dishes, and this Paprika Sauerkraut and Cabbage dish with sausage and bacon plus a splash of beer was one of my favorites. Don’t worry, the alcohol in the beer evaporates in the cooking process, but the goodness remains.
Here’s a list of ingredients for you:
– 1 head of cabbage (I show two, but only used one)
– 1 bell pepper
– 1 yellow onion
– 1/2 pack or more of bacon (the more the merrier)
– 2 coils of pork sausage
– 2 jars of sauerkraut
– 1 can of diced tomato
– 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (mix with the diced tomato)
– Salt (I used Himalayan salt, but you can use any, to taste)
– Dill (fresh dill is better, but I used dried, to taste)
Cook everything as shown in the video until the cabbage is soft and tender. Throw out any thick chunks because they’re more bitter than the leaves.
The dish is traditionally eaten with sour cream, fresh white bread and a mug of beer, but you can adjust if you’re dieting. Also, if you’re vegetarian, substitute the meats with vegetarian parts and you’ll obviously get similar results, but honestly nothing beats the bacon and sausage flavor.
If you like the video, please click Like and Subscribe to the channel.
Music credit: “And the Walls” (Artist Leah Siegel)