Learn the secret to making beautifully crispy chips in the oven! No need to par-boil the potatoes, and even peeling those spuds is optional!
These oven baked chips (or fries) make a simple and classic side dish to go with almost anything!!
Free printable recipe available on our site: https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/homemade-oven-chips/
▢4 tbsp olive oil – (or other neutral tasting oil – such as sunflower or vegetable)
▢700 g (1 ½ lbs) of floury potatoes – such as Maris Piper or Rooster – these will ensure a fluffier chip interior and a crispier exterior.
▢1 tbsp cornflour – cornstarch
▢1 tsp salt
▢½ tsp black pepper
▢½ tsp paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
2. Brush a large metal non-stick baking tray with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil. If your tray isn’t non-stick, line the tray with non-stick foil instead. (*tip 1)
3. Cut the potatoes into 1 cm (about ⅜ of an inch) thick slices (no need to peel).
4. Sprinkle the sliced potatoes with the 1tbsp of cornflour and transfer to the oiled baking tray.
5. Sprinkle with the 1tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper and ½ tsp paprika, then drizzle on the rest of the oil (3 tbsp).
6. Toss everything together with your hands so the fries are fully coated in the oil and arrange the chips in a single layer. Try to ensure they’re not touching too much.
7. Cover the tray in a piece of foil that’s been greased with a little vegetable oil.
8. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes.
9. Turn the fries over using a spatula and cook for a final 5-10 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
10. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
*Tip 1 – Stop the chips sticking to the tray
It’s really important to either use a non-stick baking tray, or to line the tray with non-stick foil. The starch in the chips will mean they REALLY want to stick to the tray.
What are the best type of potatoes to use?
I use Maris Pipers – which are floury potatoes. This ensures the potatoes have a lovely fluffy interior. King Edward, Rooster, and Russet also work great.
#Recipe #CookingShow #OvenBaked