• 2tablespoons butter
• 2tablespoons olive oil
• 1large onion, diced
• 1 1⁄2tablespoons Hungarian paprika
• 6large potatoes, diced 3/4 inch (waxy type)
• 1small green pepper, diced
• 1large tomatoes, peeled and diced
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter and olive oil together.
2. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
3. Put all of the rest of the ingredients into the pot, just barely covering the potatoes with water.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
5. Avoid stirring as much as you can to keep the potatoes from breaking apart.
6. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
There was a time when every stew was referred to as Hungarian Goulash, because information, especially about food was hard to get. Today, it is very specific and there are not too many variations on the original recipe. The main difference has been the use of smoked...